23 April 2010

A Reflection on Traveling Alone vs Traveling with Someone

When I first announced to my friends in Oxford (both Americans and English) that I was going to travel alone, most looked at me like I was crazy. Some even voiced that opinion.

"You mean, you're not even going to meet up with someone along the way?"
"Do you think you'll be safe?"
"Aren't you worried?"

Well I wasn't before, but maybe I was then after those opinions.
I continued to research and pray, but I really felt that I trip alone would be a really good way to grow in my trust of God, and a good way to figure out just what I really am capable of doing on my own.

I've taken trips with other people before, which can be really interesting, it's nice to have someone who's there to experience things, help take photos, and someone to talk about it with after you come home. I had a friend tell me that:
"If I traveled alone, I would be afraid none of it had really happened, because I would be the only one there."

I guess that could be true, but I think if you don't travel alone occasionally you'll never know yourself entirely. I have such a better understanding of myself now. I've been lost and had to figure it out by myself.  I've had to make friends with strangers (a strength I don't usually possess). I've had to stand up for myself in a country where I don't speak the language (someone tried to cheat me out of 5 euros worth of change. I got cranky). I've had to make every decision, from food to sights, to sleep, to trains. There's a serious thrill in being that independent. In just hopping trains and wandering cities, and hoping you find your way, but not really caring about getting lost along the way, because you're the only one it affects.

During my week all alone in Germany (and Salzburg) and then my week of wandering around Vienna and spending the evenings with Denise, I've learned a lot about myself. Like the fact that I tend to keep a running commentary going in my head, or that I really enjoy talking to people in hostels. I've made two good acquaintances, that I hope will turn into real friends, because both of them were lovely. I've been adventurous, I've been scared, and I was even homesick. But the real thing is, I made the decision to be those things, I didn't let someone else influence me, exhaust me, or make the decisions for me.

Like I said at first, I don't have anything against traveling with someone (hello, I traveled with Rebekah all through Michaelmas!) but I think it's important to experiment and try things on your own. I wouldn't recommend 3 years of this, but I would recommend a few weeks. It's envigorating to get lost... to look around and realize you've seen the buildings around you six times, but you have no idea where those buildings are on the map you're looking at.

That's all. Just a brief recommendation to figure yourself out.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, traveling alone can be fun. But just make sure that it is for a limited time. :D

    ReplyDelete