07 April 2010

Austria!!!

As of this moment, I am currently sitting in my hostel in Salzburg, whiling away a little time because the museums are closed, and I don't feel up to just wandering about today.

So on Monday I flew into Bratislava, which for those of you who are not away, is in Slovakia. While I knew this before leaving, for some reason it never dawned on me to brush up on my Slovakian. Hence the following story.

Everything was fine until I was about 50 feet out of Immigration. I reached for my passport, which I thought I had stuck in my back pocket, I was going to transfer it back to my purse while I tried desperately to figure out what "train station" was in Slovakian. As I reached back, I realiyed (dramatic music cue...) it wasn't there. Uh-oh. Where did it go.
I sat down and searched through my bags, not there. Not in any of my pockets. I retraced my steps up to that point, not there either. Uh-oh.
Next, I pursued a search for the info desk, and managed to walk right by it four or five times. Smooth. If it hadn't been for the English guys from my flight who I had befriended before takeoff, I might have stayed wandering for a bit. Of course almost none of the signs are in English, so I'm dreadfully confused the entire time. After finally locating someone who speaks English at the info desk, I am directed to the Lost&Found desk... where my passport lies waiting.
*phew*

I would lose my head if it wasn't screwed on, I'm pretty sure.

2 comments: