21 April 2010

Marooned, stranded, stuck, however you put it, it's not pleasant

Once again I'm sitting in the computer lab at Denise's school. What a gracious friend. Her graciousness is almost as wonderful as her friendship, humor, and kindness. As I have struggled through the weekend and continue to muddle through this week post volcano-explosion (as Eric put it: Dr. Harris must be so excited, this is the first time Iceland's been in the news in forever!) she has been there for me every step of the way, making sure I eat, talk, fuss, and occasionally sigh in frustration.

Frankly, being here hasn't been too bad overall. But let's back up. Originally I was going to take a daytrip on Friday last week. My plans changed slightly and I decided to go on Thursday instead, since Denise was free most of Friday (noon onward!) and I wanted to spend my *last* night with her, not in Eisenstadt. So Thursday morning, off I went to Eisenstadt, the town the Esterhazy family lived in. Terribly cool, I got to see Haydn's house. But the second I walked into her apartment that evening, full of crazy stories, Denise says "look at RyanAir. A volcano errupted, and flights are shutting down."
Sure enough, Friday evening I was notified my flight had been canceled. What followed from there was a frantic rush to get myself back in time for Monday lectures.
Or my Wednesday meeting.
Or just ever.

I first booked a Eurostar train for Monday evening, since that was the next available time I could go. I then Saturday went and stood in line, twice, trying to get a train out of Vienna and over to Paris. That was a no-go, since that was what everyone wanted to do. I spent a total of 4 hours and 30 minutes at Westbahnhof waiting in line. On Saturday. After a little conferencing with my family that night, I went back to Westbahnhof on Sunday and spent almost 3 hours trying to sort my life. Again. And then... here's the kicker, I couldn't get a train until Wednesday. So I booked it, thinking I could get ahold of Eurostar and change my booking with them.
I couldn't. So then I was going to be stuck in Paris, unable to get a hostel, unable to get a train. I panicked. I called my sister and she and I spent almost three hours on Sunday total trying to sort my life. Eventually we found a flight that was going to leave on Tuesday. I was so excited!
And then Monday night they canceled it.
I moved to this coming Monday.
I'll have missed an entire week, but hey, at least I'll get back, right?
Maybe wrong. The volcano errupted again yesterday, I may just have to move into Denise's apartment permanently.

On the plus side, I met her landlady today, she's absolutely a precious person, and is refusing to let me pay the extra rent to stay there since it's "such a pity! you being stuck here!". She gets flowers. And maybe chocolate.
Plus, Denise's roommates are SO cool. So wonderfully chill, and just absolutely lovely about the fact that they have an extra person in the house taking up space, shower time... etc. They've all been really sympathetic, and just incredibly gracious and kind. Such a relief to at least be stuck/stranded/marooned with friends. I've discovered so many new happy things about being glutenfree too! More on that at some point (and just how I managed to survive... although barely... I lost 5 pounds and about two inches on my waist in the last three weeks).

Life continues to be an adventure. In so many ways ...

No comments:

Post a Comment