16 October 2009

Musings on being a Celiac/Coeliac

I’m spoiled. I can own up to it. I have an amazing support system at home. I have my mother, who went gluten-free with me (although she thinks she’s seeing an improvement now, no wonder, Coeliac’s/Celiac’s is genetic). I have the rest of my family who are there when I need them, for a phone call, cup of tea, or a weekend brunch. They’re also very serious about making sure I stay healthy. I have my little circle of friends at school, who are not only supportive, but nag to make sure I keep my blood sugar steady, and never choose a restaurant that I can’t eat at, and in general are adorable/a nuisance. :) I also have my friends at church, who pray for me on a daily basis (something I’ll be eternally grateful for), the administrative staff at Jewell who go out of their way to help me, and the list goes on and on. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I didn’t realize how much I would miss that support network. From the casual cups of coffee, to the ranting to Shelly King (you knew you’d get a shout-out eventually) to 2 a.m. Steak ‘N’ Shake runs, I didn’t realize how much of my mental sanity as I’ve dealt with these health problems has been dependent on the people around me and the support they provide.

Now the real thrust of this post, I miss my support network. I miss people who get just as excited as I do because a package came from the UK Coeliac Society, or not feeling awkward at a dinner party because the hostess made sure I have something, or just not feeling like I have to explain everything to everyone all the time. I also hate feeling like I’m boring people by explaining things, but I’m having trouble finding that happy balance. Does such a thing exist?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find a good support network in England!

    I feel the same way a lot of the time with being vegan, I don't know what I'll do when I study abroad in eastern europe next year!

    Maybe you should host a dinner party for your new friends to show how easy it is to cook for celiacs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd you get to be so smart Andi? Sheer brilliancy! And thank you, I hope I figure things out here too!

    ReplyDelete