14 October 2009

Excursion Week

Okay, I admit it. I’m behind. It’s crazy and surprising, but I’m a little busy over here. Anyone who knows me well is now laughing. Hysterically. 

As part of our program we take a few excursions, tours, and other such fun things. I’ve posted the photos from all of our excursions to a site where you can flip through them without having to backlog the post.

 So all of this is from three weeks ago!

1st: Shakespeare Tour

What’s the connection between Shakespeare and Oxford? If you’re thinking “none” you’re wrong. You might be the same as many “Oxfordians” but there’s a connection. Apparently, Oxford is exactly halfway between London and Stratford-Upon-Avon. So Shakespeare used to stay here when going back and forth. He was friends with the innkeeper and his wife, and it’s said that he had an affair with the wife of the innkeeper. It’s even claimed that he’s not just the godfather of the son of the innkeeper, but maybe the actual father. 
That’s neither here nor there however.
Our lecturer and guide for the tour, was none other than one brilliant Dr. Barry Webb. The man could make dirt seem exciting and interesting. And his passion for Shakespeare is incredible. He lectured four or five times in our classroom about various subjects, and each time I was literally on the edge of my seat. The only other person capable of that, is Francis Warner. 
Dr. Webb took us around town, and showed us things of varying interest, like Shakepeare’s bedroom, the courtyard a few of his plays were performed, and the pub where he used to enjoy his supper. A few members of our group promptly ordered a pint there, because that’s where the tour ended. Lora and I left. Like always. 


2nd: London and The Globe

The very next evening (busy week) we went into London to see a performance of As You Like It at The Globe theatre. We arrived in London early, since traffic is unpredictable, and Penelope wished for us to have time to explore a little. So Lora and I did explore. We also found a cute little pub and had some supper. Amongst the things seen/experienced: Sir Francis Drake’s ship (much smaller than I expected...), Southwark Cathedral, where all the theatre greats have worshipped, and the Millennium Bridge. I also dragged Lora and Adam (both housemates) up and down the Thames trying desperately to get the right angle for a photo of St. Paul’s Cathedral. I was trying to recreate the shot from the painting of Handel’s Water Music, but I don’t think I succeeded. *overly dramatic sigh*



3rd: Tour of Pre-Raphaelite Oxford

The Pre-Raphaelites were a group in Oxford during the Victorian Era. They have close ties to the Oxford Movement, which was about when the Anglican church split in half, the Oxford Movement half being the Anglo-Catholic side of the Anglican church. The Pre-Raphaelites were heavy on extreme detail, and were obsessed with the Medieval Period, which means a lot of the architecture and symbolism in their paintings has to do with that Era. It’s fascinating to see some of the detail that is put into the paintings, and to look at the architecture, which looks like it could have been from the Medieval Period, but it’s only as old as the Victorian Era. Francis taught us how to tell the difference between the two types of buildings. Cool stuff! 

Now, I didn’t actually take any of these photos. I was too busy talking to Francis Warner. But Lora had forgotten her camera, so she took mine for the tour! I benefited, I get to have the photos, AND I got to talk one on one for a long time with Francis. :-)



That about sums up that week in our lives. It was a busy one for sure. That weekend my sister, Rebekah, came up to see me, and I took her around Oxford and showed her a few things that I had learned, and told her about some of the places we hang out. That was fun for both of us! 

More coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment