09 November 2009

Epic?

So I had my life flash before my eyes today. Now before you think I'm just being dramatic, let me assure you that I'm not. I really saw my life, in a millisecond clip.

Okay, so now that I really am done being overdramatic...

Lora and I decided to walk down Cornmarket to get to Boots after lecture today. Along the way, just before the Boots, there were a couple of jugglers performing in the street. Now I happen to love watching the jugglers anyway, plus the one guy was getting ready to play with fire (pyromania anyone?) so we decided to stay and watch. Well, actually this it the conversation that happened:

Me: Ooh! Fire! Can we stay for a couple of minutes and watch?
Lora: Sounds good. I like fire too.
Guy who's getting ready to perform overhears us and comments: There's a better view if you walk over there *gestures to the other side of the street* I promise I won't involve you in the show or anything.

And then he winked.
Oh that wink. I should have known.

So we watched him twirl a big fiery stick, and then his partner juggled for awhile. The entire time they've had beat-heavy music on. Then the 2nd guy switches off the music, and the 1st guy looks like he's going to talk for a minute.

1st guy: Okay. I need a volunteer.

Innocent enough, right? Wrong.

1st guy: I need a volunteer, someone I promised I wouldn't involve in the show... *grinning* but she looks so keen and eager, and she's been a great audience member, so I can't resist. -All the while walking towards me, holding out his hand-
Me: Uhhhhhh
Lora: *laughing hysterically*

What proceeds from here, is probably one of my better moments. I uncharacteristically decided to be a participant. So he took my hand and led me into the middle of the street.

1st guy: *lays down coat on the ground* "Can't have you getting your nice coat messy now can we?
2nd guy: "Can we have a round of applause for our *cough cough* 'volunteer'?"
*crowd gathered applauds fairly enthusiastically*

The 1st guy looks at me "Comfy?" he asks. "Plenty, but I need you to not kill me, my mom wouldn't like it" I reply.

The 2nd guy starts talking about what they're about to do.
"Now while we're attempting this..."
"Attempt?! You're not going to succeed?!" is my automatic question
*sheepish grin* "Yes, attempt. I need you, the crowd to remember three things. Can you do that? The 1st is NINE! The second is Nine... and the 3rd is NINE... 999, can you do that if anything goes wrong? I think she'd appreciate it." (999 being the emergency number here).
Because I wasn't quaking in my boots before, this certainly didn't help. Although I did giggle uncontrollably. Probably nerves.

Now, I have no idea what's really about to happen. I start to look behind me where the guys are standing, but Lora shouts from the sidewalk that it's a bad plan. I decide to listen.

Next thing I know, there's a feeling of warmth hitting the top of my head. Yeah, that's right, the guy walked on his hands, with a fiery stick in his teeth, over me.
I was a little terrified.

But honestly, it was a lot of fun. And a fairly epic experience. Lora kindly took photos, which are below.












You might be wondering at this point: is that REALLY Karen in those photos. No, believe me, that's me. I think my heart-rate has finally slowed to a semi-normal pace. But I was definitely shaky when I got up off the ground.

Just another day in Oxford? Right?
Right.


3 comments:

  1. I knew if you looked you would be veeeeery upset. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!!! Fantastic experience, fantastic photo, and a fantastically-written blog. Great job with using your words to convey the experience! It made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! Can't believe that's my little sister! ha...guess overseas studies really do broaden your horizons. :D

    ReplyDelete