20 November 2009

Baking Gluten-Free in a new country

Okay, I've been gluten-free for about 11 months now. And baking is a scary, scary, scary, awful, horrible thing if you're not familiar with what you're doing. Which I'm generally not. I'd tried it a few times (unsuccessful mixes aside) and kinda had an idea in the states.

But Thanksgiving is around the corner. And as the main representative for America in my bible study, I feel a need to share my culture with them. Since Bible Study is on Thursday's, this works well. If I could just figure out how to bake over here...

I e-mailed family to request a pumpkin cookie recipe (thinking that would be nice and easy) and lo, and behold: it requires a yellow moist cake mix.
So after internet research, maybe I have a substitute:

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
1 1/4 cups sugar

Does this sound right? Anyone? Anyone at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment