25 May 2010

An almost untimely update...

Well, almost two weeks have flown by since the last update (why do I always update during the busiest moments in life?) and the time in Oxford is slipping out of my hands. I really don't have time to write about travels right now (that's this weekend, I'm hoping to finish spring break by sunday night) but I do have time to tell you the few random things on my mind:

1. Oxford: It's sinking in how much I'm going to miss this place. It's been a fabulous year of personal growth, and I really cannot imagine being home right now. I know once I'm home, I'll be happy to be there, but I have very mixed feelings about going home right now.

2. Speaking of going home, it just sank in that I leave the UK in less than five weeks. And I leave Oxford in four weeks. Eek!

3. Friends: I would never have imagined meeting so many amazing people here, and forming the deep friendships that I have formed, but now that I have, I cannot imagine leaving them either. So much can happen in 10 months. Who knew?

4. Composition: speaking of growing and things happening, I looked down at something I was writing out a minute ago (a four voice arrangement of Loch Lomond if you must know) and realized that composition is finally feeling effortless some of the time. I'm learning to trust my own instincts for composing, and that is fairly nice.

5. Student housing phenomena #267: Every single house that contains students only will end up in a stand-off over small things like taking the trash out, buying toilet paper, and cleaning the bathroom. It's not just your own house... it's everyone.

6. Cooking for a person who is nut, gluten, and lactose free isn't as hard as it sounds. Promise.

7. My book list for the summer is going to be really long. Why am I friends with all the English majors?

8. Politics from the 18th century: actually really interesting. I do not care what you think.

9. Using a book your tutor wrote for your tutorial with him: intimidating.

10. My to-do lists have become itemized detailed lists that take up a full sheet of paper. I may be busy. I dunno...

All for now. Watch for a flurry of travel updates this weekend, as well as photos and etc.

2 comments:

  1. Student housing phenomenon #267 = crushed. In our house we have never (yet) had a stand-off over anything. Of course, it may help that we don't have to buy our own toilet paper or clean our bathroom...
    But still, I think the fact that none of the things that we do have to do have resulted in a stand-off means I just might have the coolest housemates in the world. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. And might just mean your comment is slightly obnoxious. :P
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete